Dr. Marion L. Burton

Burton Elementary was named after Dr. Marion L. Burton.  Dr. Burton was a renowned educator during his life. At the time of his death at age 50, on February 18, 1925, he was the president of the University of Michigan.

Other accomplishments of his life:

  • Doctorate of Philosophy from Yale.
  • Congregational preacher in New York City.
  • President of Smith College, 1910 - 1917.
  • President of University of Minnesota, 1917 - 1920.
  • President of the University of Michigan, 1920 -1925.
  • Youngest man to hold the presidency at U of M.
  • Brought the poet Robert Frost to live with students on campus.
  • Made the 1924 nominating speech for Calvin Coolidge's presidency.

During his term at U of M he oversaw the construction of seventeen buildings on campus earning him the nickname of "Burton the Builder".  After his death, Burton Tower was built in his honor, ironically during the Depression while Burton Elementary lay vacant.

     

Burton Elementary School History Time Line

2008 Maribeth Krehbiel appointed 13th principal
2004 Mary Beth Fitzpatrick appointed 12th principal

1997

Linda Schneider-Rediske appointed 11th principal

1996

Media Center, elevator, building renovations

1994

Burton Community Park built in 5 days

1989

Lloyd Lewis appointed 10th principal

1988

Donald Lazarus appointed 9th principal

1984

Burton awarded A+ rating by Instructor Magazine

1983

Richard Durda appointed 8th principal

1976

Burton participates in district-wide fundraising bingo on Saturday nights

1975

Charles Cromar appointed 7th principal

1964

Andrew Van Deven appointed 6th principal

1964

Principal George Kent retires after 23 years at Burton

1957-58

Burton PTA sponsors square dance fundraisers monthly at BHS

1956

First PTA sponsored Book Fair

1954

Addition of 6 more classrooms on west wing.  1240 students in grades K-8

1953

Addition of 5 more classrooms on west wing.  1082 students

1951

Addition of 6 more classrooms and Gym on West side of building

1948

Addition of 6 classrooms to north side of building. 536 students

1944

First 6 classrooms additionn to original building. 270 students

1941

Burton Elementary reopens after 10 years.  170 students, K-7

1941

George Kent appointed 5th principal

1934-39

Shrine Catholic School uses Burton for classrooms

1931

Burton closed down for next ten years during depression

1930

Principal Sanberg and staff given 30 days notice before school closes

1929

Stock market crashes

1928

Judith Sanberg appointed 4th principal

1927

Edwina Wolford appointed 3rd principal

1926

Minnie Fraser appointed 2nd principal. Salary $1,700 year

1926

February 17 - Dedication of Burton Elementary School.  130 students

1925

February 18 - Dr. Marion Burton, President of University of Michigan dies

1925

Branche Beaman appointed 1st principal

1925

Twenty-two lots bought for school grounds at a cost of approximately $800 each.  Original school had five rooms and was built in less than ten months at a cost of $60,000.

1921

First elementary school in district opens - Angell Elementary

1901

Second school in district opens at 11 Mile & Coolidge - South School.  No running water or bathrooms.

1840

First school in district opens at Catalpa & Coolidge - Blackman School.  Four students, ages 5-17, no running water or indoor bathrooms.