Enrollment Packets - Click here for Enrollment Home Page
Central Enrollment Office:
14700 W. Lincoln, Oak Park, 48237
Central Enrollment Hours:
Monday: 1-5 pm
Tuesday-Thursday: 9:30 am-1:30 pm
When enrolling a student in any Michigan school district, the State School Aid Act, related Michigan Compiled Laws and other federal and state requirements apply. Each district is responsible for verifying three things: parentage, a qualifying residence and residency in the qualifying residence.
Enrollment Requirements for Berkley Schools
I. PARENTAGE: The person(s) legally in control, care and custody of a minor child. The Missing Child Act requires verifying the identity and age of a minor child enrolling in a public school.
To establish parentage, the district requires:
1. Driver’s License or Government issued photo identification of the person(s) enrolling the student.
2. Certified birth certificate (raised seal) of the student(s) to be enrolled. If a birth certificate cannot be supplied at the time of enrollment, a notarized affidavit of birth date certification shall be supplied and an original birth certificate must be provided to the district within 30 calendar days.
3. Additional documentation, such as a divorce decree or other official documents that specify custodial rights, may be necessary.
II. A QUALIFYING RESIDENCY: A residential dwelling that is either a single family principal residence, as recorded with the Michigan Treasury, or a legal single family rental unit that meets Michigan Treasury and local community requirements for a rental.
To establish a qualifying residence, the district requires:
1. Proof of home ownership: If you currently own or have recently purchased a home, the deed to the property, in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s) must be provided. A pending purchase agreement with a closing date within 45 days is permissible.
2. A current property tax statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s). To qualify as a homeowner, the property must be declared as a principal residence in accordance with state law and guidelines.
Rental of property must be for the purpose of a primary residence. Leasing a residence within the boundaries does not solely constitute living within the boundaries.
1. An original signed complete lease in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student(s). Students’ names also need to be on the lease. In the case of a month-to-month lease, monthly verification of the rental will be required.
2. Statement of Landlord Form. This form is available from the Central Enrollment Office and in a folder below.
III. RESIDENCY IN THE QUALIFYING RESIDENCE
To establish residency in the qualifying residence, the district requires:
1. Current auto insurance statement in the name of the person seeking to enroll the student.
2. Two different original current utility bills with the name and address of the person enrolling the student. If utility bills have not yet been received, two verifications of utility activation may be submitted. Current utility bills must then be submitted when they are received (within 45 days of enrolling).
OR (if necessary for renters whose utilities are included in their lease)
3. Any two of the items listed below with the name and address of the person enrolling the student may be substituted for renters whose utilities are included.
• Cable/Satellite TV bill • Bank statement • Paycheck stub
• Legal notice or document • IRS bill or statement • INS documents
• Automobile loan or lease • DHS statement • Phone bill
• Professional license • Medical bills or insurance
Other Options for Enrollment in Berkley School District
Contact the Central Enrollment Office at 248.837.8016 for complete information and documentation required.
Guardianship: If you are enrolling a student who is not your child, legal guardianship is required. A relative may enroll a student who is not their child if the child is living with them because the parents are unable to provide a suitable home under a state approved power of attorney and supporting documents. Please read the document “What Guardianship or Limited Guardianship Means” available in the Central Enrollment Office. A meeting with district administration will be required before enrollment can be approved.
Family Living with a Berkley School District Resident: Must be for the purpose of a primary residence. A notarized affidavit signed by the resident and the parent/guardian is required.
Tuition: Tuition enrollment is subject to approval of the Superintendent. The tuition for middle and high school students is equal to the state foundation allowance. Tuition enrollment is not available for elementary students.
Employees: Students of Berkley School District employees may be eligible to attend Berkley Schools, subject to approval of the Superintendent.
Enrollment requirements effective April 23, 2012.
Kindergarten enrollment packets distributed prior to 9/1/12 will be accepted for the 2012-13 school year only.
Berkley School District
Administrative Offices - Avery Center
14700 W. Lincoln
Oak Park, MI 48237