What is Shared Time?
Shared Time is a State of Michigan Program that under the Michigan Pupil Accounting Manual allows for public and non-public schools to partner on eligible non-core elective classes (including Advanced Placement courses) such as art, music, PE, modern language, media, computers, and other similar courses.
The core of the program allows for the public school district to collect state revenues (FTE) for non-public school students attending mutually agreed upon eligible classes, noted above. The public school can collect the FTE by hiring eligible teachers and taking budget responsibility for their salary and benefits. This relieves these costs from the non-public school, helping their overall budget.
Benefits: The Berkley Difference
- Berkley School District has a successful 17 years of experience with Shared Time partners.
- Ten (10) Berkley staff members support the Shared Time partnerships.
- Berkley School District provides shared services for all non-core and elective classes (including AP courses) and online learning opportunities through the Michigan Virtual University (MVU).
- Shared Time partners have significant input in staff hiring, development, and retention.
- Berkley School District may hire the non-public school’s current highly qualified teachers.
- Partnering with Berkley School District allows non-public schools to reduce significant operating costs and relieve tuition pressures. In 2015-16 alone, Berkley School District saved Shared Time partners $4.5 M in staff compensation
- Partners are supported educationally by securing outstanding teachers that are MDE-certified and highly qualified to deliver exceptional instruction at all grade levels and content areas.
- Shared Time teachers follow our partner’s school calendars and participate in parent/teacher conferences, open houses, and professional development activities.
- Berkley School District offers a competitive benefit package for all full time teaching staff.
Shared Time Partners
Berkley School District currently has 41 Shared Time partners in five counties, Lapeer, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw, and Wayne, encompasing four religions.
Eligible Course & Descriptions
"We greatly appreciate the professionalism and care that the Berkley Shared Time Team has exhibited throughout our partnership. The team has facilitated a beneficial program that has enhanced the level of education at our institution. We look forward to many years of continued partnership and growth."
-Fayzeh Madani, Principal, Michigan Islamic Academy
"In education, whether it be public or private, budgets are tight and often cuts are made in the area of non-core classes to help with a balanced budget. Partnering with BSD has provided us with teachers highly qualified in the areas of Music, PE, Spanish, Art and Band and allowed us to keep these classes. I highly recommend this partnership for the benefits and enrichment you will receive."
-Janet McLoughlin, Principal, Our Shepherd Lutheran School
"The relationship forged five years ago between the Cabrini Parish Schools and the Berkley Public Schools has been beneficial to us in numerous ways. Our Berkley partners have supported rigorous instruction in Cabrini classrooms, as well as strong collaboration with us in promoting best practices in methodology, professional goal-setting, professional development, staff evaluation, and instruction materials support. I feel that both institutions share the goal of prioritizing student needs, and have learned from each other in a spirit of professional collegiality and mutual respect."
-James Wasukanis, President, Cabrini Parish Schools