All students are expected to be on time to all of their scheduled classes. The doors in the morning open at 8:05 and students are expected to be in their 1st hour class when the bell rings at 8:15. Students who arrive to school after 8:30 must get a pass from the office before going to their first hour class.
Any student who exceeds 15 tardies within a semester will be assigned to a lunch detention for every tardy after 15. If a student has been assigned to lunch detention 3 times and the problem still persists, the student will be suspended from school for 1 day and a parent meeting will be required for re-admittance.
Cold Weather Policy
When there are inclement weather conditions such as rain, falling snow, and/or actual temperatures below 20 degrees, students are allowed to enter the building upon their arrival to school. Once students enter through their designated grade level door, they must wait in the hallway until the first bell rings at 8:05. Additionally, our Media Center is open for students to drop in Monday through Friday from 7:30-8:05, provided that they work on homework or read a book.
We like to encourage AMS students to dress in a manner that allows for the most individual comfort and freedom, while still maintaining the proper atmosphere in which to learn. If any AMS Staff member thinks that an item of clothing is inappropriate, you will be asked to call your parents/guardians to bring a change of clothes or will be provided an alternative item to wear. Students that repeatedly have difficulty following these clothing guidelines will be given a consequence which may include a parent/guardian conference or removal from class/school.
Students are expected to follow these guidelines:
- At no time will undergarments be allowed to show.
- Trousers that are worn below the waist line will not be permitted.
- Pajama attire is not allowed as appropriate school attire.
- Tops and blouses must cover the midriff area and tank tops will not be permitted.
- Dresses, skirts, and shorts should not be too short or tight. Shorts/skirts must be below your fingertips when arms are extended toward the floor, flat to the sides of the body.
- Clothing that is too tight or revealing will not be allowed.
- Hats and coats may be worn before and after school. They may not be worn during class. Students who find the building too cold should wear sweaters or sweatshirts.
- Bandannas, hats, baseball caps, or other head coverings are not permitted to be worn in school.
- Students will not be allowed to wear clothing connected to “gang” insignias or other items such as wallet chains.
- Apparel advertising controlled substances (including drugs and alcohol) or displaying profanity or sexual innuendo or a violent theme are NOT permitted.
- Writing across the “seat” of the pants or shorts is not permitted.
If you are unsure as to whether or not something is appropriate please.
- Check the guidelines carefully.
- If you have doubts about a piece of clothing, don't wear it.
- AMS staff members have the final decision as to the appropriateness of any apparel.