What is Shared Time?
Shared Time is a State of Michigan Program that under the Michigan Pupil Accounting Manual allows for public and non-public schools to partner on eligible non-core elective classes (including Advanced Placement courses) such as art, music, PE, modern language, media, computers, and other similar courses.
Benefits: The Berkley Difference
- Berkley School District has a successful 19 years of experience with Shared Time partners.
- Dedicated Berkley shared time staff members support the Shared Time partnerships.
- Berkley School District provides shared services for all non-core and elective classes (including AP courses) and online learning opportunities through the Michigan Virtual University (MVU).
- Shared Time partners have significant input in staff hiring, development, and retention.
- Berkley School District may hire the non-public school’s current highly qualified teachers.
- Partners are supported educationally by securing outstanding teachers that are MDE-certified and highly qualified to deliver exceptional instruction at all grade levels and content areas.
- Shared Time teachers follow our partner’s school calendars and participate in parent/teacher conferences, open houses, and professional development activities.
- Berkley School District offers a competitive benefit package for all full time teaching staff.
Shared Time Partners
Berkley School District currently has 42 Shared Time partners in four counties, Lapeer, Macomb, Oakland and Wayne, encompasing five religions.
Eligible Course & Descriptions
In education, whether it be public or private, budgets are tight and often cuts are made in the area of non-core classes to help with a balanced budget. Partnering with BSD has provided us with teachers highly qualified in the areas of Music, PE, Spanish, Art and Band and allowed us to keep these classes. I highly recommend this partnership for the benefits and enrichment you will receive.
-Janet McLoughlin, Principal, Our Shepherd Lutheran School
Detroit Cristo Rey is very grateful for the partnership that we have built with Berkley Schools. Working together we have been able to improve the educational outcomes of our students. Our relationship has truly made a difference for our students and school. We look forward to working together for many years to come.
-Michael Khoury, President, Detroit Cristo Rey High School