Dr. John (Johannes) Norup was born April 30, 1889 in Denmark. He was the fifth child of a Lutheran Minister, Carl Wilhelm Norup and Anna Maria Tranberg Norup.
He was educated at Ribe Gymnasium in Denmark in 1916 and graduated from the Professional University in Copenhagen in 1924. He was a German prisoner of war in World War I. After graduation, he took postgraduate work in a number of Copenhagen hospitals. The M.D. served as the Health Officer on Laso Island, off the Danish Coast.
Dr. John Norup came to America and practiced in Chicago from 1925-1926. He then moved to Calumet from 1926-1928 then to Detroit from 1928-1932. He married Evelyn Norbom in Detroit 1928. Dr. Norup moved to Berkley in 1932 and remained in Berkley until is death in 1957. The Norups first lived at 2615 Coolidge and his office was located at 2635 Coolidge. The family then moved to 1772 Edgewood. They had two daughters, Elizabeth and Karen.
Dr. Norup belonged to the Oakland County Medical Society, the Michigan State Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the American Academy of General Practice of Wayne County, the American Academy of General Practice, Berkley Exchange Club, Mohawk Lodge F & M and was a charter member of the Gethsemene Lutheran Church, now Can Lutheran.
Dr. Norup served on the Berkley School Board from 1936-1948 and for most of those years he was the Board Treasurer. He belonged to the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary from 1941-1948. His favorite recreation was sailing.
Dr. Norup died April 17, 1957 in William Beaumont Hospital. He was a member of the William Beaumont Hospital staff and also a member of Mt. Carmel Hospital, Detroit.
His wife and daughters survived him, as did his brother, Hans and two sisters, Ingeborg Norup and Elizabeth Knudson, all in Denmark.
The new junior high , later made a middle school and presently is 3rd- 8th grade school, was named for Dr. Norup on May 14, 1957.
Dr. Norup was buried in White Chapel Cemetery.