Berkley High School runs on a six (6) period schedule.
School starts at 8:20 am
Dismissal time for half days is 11:35 am
Berkley High School Profile
Berkley High School is nestled in a residential and small business community, located in Oakland County. Our 4,800 district students come from Berkley, Huntington Woods and the north portion of Oak Park.
Berkley High School has been named a Best High School in the 2020 Rankings from U.S. News & World Report. BHS Ranked #1743 nationally and #57 in Michigan. (Based on 2017-18 data). View the 2020 BHS listing.
BHS was also named a Best High School in the 2019 Rankings from U.S. News & World Report. BHS Ranked #1807 nationally and #62 in Michigan. BHS was a Silver Medal recipient from U.S. News & World Report in their 2018 Best High Schools ranking. BHS ranked #1520 in the National Rankings and #52 in Michigan. Schools are ranked based on their performance on state-required tests and how well they prepare students for college. Additionally, BHS was named a 2017 Most Challenging High School by the Washington Post, among Newsweek's Top 500 High Schools in 2016, and as was on the Newsweek’s The Daily Beast 2014 list of 735 Best High Schools in the nation -- ranked 6th in Michigan. These rankings highlight the schools that have proven to be the most effective in turning out college-ready graduates.
Class of 2019 Accomplishments
- The BHS Class of 2019 received over $6.5 million in scholarships.
- This class will be attending nearly every public and private university in the state including Michigan State, University of Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Oakland University, Wayne State, Grand Valley State, Albion, Kalamazoo College and Lawrence Tech.
- This Class of 2019 was accepted at and/or is attending Hampton University, Spelman College, American University, American International University of London, Brandeis University, Ohio State University, Boston University, Temple University, Tulane University, Emerson College, UCLA, Howard University, North Carolina A&T, University of Alabama, University of San Francisco, and the University of Washington in St. Louis to name a few out-of-state institutions.
- 90% of the Class of 2019 applied to at least one college or university.
- 4 students are entering the military.
- 43% of those applying to the University of Michigan were accepted. 75% of those who applied to Michigan State University were accepted.
- 61.8% of the class graduated with Academic Distinction.
- The average GPA of the Class of 2019 is 3.1765.
- 14% of the class took rigorous vocational education classes from computer programming to auto mechanics to nurse assistanceships.
- The class of 2019 performed over 14,000 hours of volunteer service, running blood drives, collecting food for the needy and lending a hand to many worthy causes.
Depth and Breadth of Curriculum
A total of 330 students took 643 Advanced Placement tests in 2019. Many upper classmen dual enroll at one of the many colleges/community colleges in our area. In addition, approximately 30% of our Seniors attend classes at CASA (Center for the Advanced Studies and the Arts), and OSTC (Oakland Schools Technical Campus).
- CEEB/ACT Code: 230295
- Public: Comprehensive
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 1394
- Senior Class: 323
- Schedule: 6 Period Schedule
- Class Periods: 61 minutes
- Accreditation: North Central Association
- Michigan Association of Schools and Colleges
- Michigan Association for College Admission Counseling
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- 79 Teachers
- 4 Counselors
- 3 Administrators
- 1.5 Media Specialists
- 1.5 Social Workers
- 1 Speech Pathologist
- 1 School Psychologist,
- 1 Academic Intervention Coordinator
- 1 College and Career Coordinator Specialist
- 1 Athletic Coordinator
- 1 Drama Director
- 80% Master’s Degree
Graduation Requirements, Grade Point Average and Class Rank
Twenty two credits are required for graduation from Berkley High School. All courses are worth 0.5 credit. Students are required to meet the following minimum department requirements:
- English: 4 credits
- Math: 4 credits
- Science: 3 credits
- Social Studies: 3 credits
- World Language: 2 credits
- Physical Education/Health: 1 credit
- Visual/Performing Arts: 1 credit
The grade point average on a transcript is weighted if a student has taken an Advanced Placement (AP) course and/or select honors (HON) courses. A “G” grade indicates a passing grade in a pass/fail option. The lowest grade one can earn and still receive credit is a D-.
A = 94-100
A- = 90-93
B+ = 87-89
B = 83-86
B- = 80-82
C+ = 77-79
C = 73-76
C- = 70-72
D+ = 67-69
D = 63-66
D- = 60-62
Berkley High School does not provide class ranking.
Class of 2019 GPA Distribution
GPA distribution includes grades earned through 11th grade
Class of 2019: 323 Seniors
|Range||% Students||# Students|
Additional Learning and Course Opportunities
Holistic Learning Opportunities
- Leadership Programming Courses
- Student Leadership
- Diversity Council
- LINKS (Peer-to-Peer support inside and outside of the classroom)
- Writing For Publication: Journalism - The Spectator
- Marketing, Sports Marketing and Advanced Marketing
Fine Arts Opportunities
- Auditioned Choirs: A Capella, Belle Tones, Encore! Show Choir
- Auditioned Bands: Symphony, Wind Symphony, Jazz
- Auditioned Orchestras: Symphony, Concert
- Non-Auditioned Ensembles: Concert Choir, Concert Band, Marching Band, Sinfonia Orchestra
- Drama: Fall Play, Spring Musical, Thespian Society, Senior Showcase Performance
- Advanced Art Options: AP Studio Art and Portfolio Development
- 44% of BHS students participated in a sport
- 12 students signed National Letters of Intent to play collegiate level sports
CASA: Center for Advanced Study & The Arts
136 students attended in 2018-19, 9.75% of all students
- Fine Arts
- Math & Sciences
- Advanced Placement Courses
OSTC: Oakland Schools Technical Campus
94 students attended in 2018-19, 6.74% of all students
- Collision Repair
- Computer Programming
- Construction Tech
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Cyber Security
- Energy + Electrical Tech
- Engineering, Robotics and Mechatronics
- Entrepreneurship & Marketing
- Health Sciences
- Visual Imaging
Points of Pride & Student Opportunities
Best Community for Music Education 8 years in a row.
(28% of BHS students are enrolled in a music program)
Sources of Strength: Peer led student wellness program
(first school in Michigan to adopt this program)
Symphony Orchestra invited to play at Carnegie Hall in 2019
Dollars for Scholars partnership includes mentorship and scholarship opportunities for underrepresented students
DECA: Students attend state and national competitions for their knowledge of the marketing and business fields
Equal Opportunity Schools: A school-wide focus on closing access and achievement gaps in Advanced Placement courses
International Travel: Students have the opportunity to travel internationally every year with many District-sponsored trips to expand their learning and view on the world
Berkley High School has been named a Best High School in the 2019 Rankings from U.S. News & World Report. BHS Ranked #1807 nationally and #62 in Michigan based on their performance on state-required tests and how well they prepare students for college.
College Level Opportunities
Honors Text Studies/Honors Writing - Syracuse University, Project Advance
Honors Zoology - Eastern Michigan University Scholars Program
Organic Chemistry - Michigan State University Curriculum Materials
Advanced Placement Courses (26)
Berkley High School offers the following Advanced Placement (AP) courses:
Offered at BHS and/or CASA:
- Calculus AB
- Calculus BC
- Comparative Government
- Computer Science Principles
- English Language & Composition
- English Literature & Composition
- Environmental Science
- European History
- Human Geography
- Music Theory
- Physics C
- Studio Art
- US Government & Politics
- World History
|AP Score||Total Exams||# of Scores|
(There is no limit to the number of Advanced Placement classes a student can take)
Honors/Grade Weighted Courses
- Honors English 11
- Advanced Earth & Space
- Honors Zoology
- Honors Anatomy & Physiology
- Honors Text Studies/Honors Writing
- Calculus III
- Differential Equations
- Organic Chemistry