Berkley High School News & Announcements
Updates from BHS
Dear Berkley High School Parents and Guardians,
Yesterday marked the “T minus one week” countdown to the first day of school on Monday, August 31. In the early afternoon I sauntered out to the practice field and briefly chatted with the freshman volleyball team. Their coach graciously gave me some time to have an informal Q & A about BHS and the upcoming school year. As we talked, I was incredibly impressed with their spirit and positive attitude going into the year. In turn, it strengthened my hope that students and families are still excited about the first day of school, regardless of how "different" it may feel.
Today also marks the official return date of our staff members for their professional development and training. In all honesty, however, most have been planning and strategizing for the upcoming school year since last June. They’ve been putting materials into Schoology, meeting as departments to set common expectations and studying best practices for teaching in a virtual environment. Much like our freshman volleyball team, they too are very excited to begin building relationships with your children and get started.
On a personal note, I’ve been brainstorming ways in which I can help build connections with students while we are in this virtual environment. Therefore, I’m happy to offer two ongoing in-person opportunities for students to connect with BHS and their favorite Principal.
Freshmen Building Tours: As I mentioned in a previous communication, I think it is important for our freshmen to step foot in the building and get their bearings before having to physically attend class and follow a six-period schedule. Here are the details of the freshman building tours:
- Tours will be offered Mondays through Thursdays with the first session being on 9/1.
- These tours are for 9th grade students only.
- There will be two sessions each day for students to choose from
- 2:45-3:15 pm
- 3:30-4:00 pm
- Students may sign up by clicking this link and using the Signup Genius.
- On the day of their tour, I will meet each group in the Main Office lobby to begin.
- Each tour will be limited to 9 slots in order to abide by state mandates and safety protocols.
- Masks are absolutely required and I will have each student fill out a short health screener upon entering the building.
- Student Homework prior to the tour:
- Bring a copy of your schedule (phone screenshot is fine).
- Please come with one question about BHS.
- Please come with one question you’d like to know about Mr. Meloche.
- Note: These tours are completely optional to students. Families are not required to sign their students up for a tour.
Lunch with the Principal: Each day there is a spot in our schedule from 12:15-1:00 pm that has been designated for lunch. Therefore, I’m going to make myself available every day from 12:20-12:50 pm for any students who would like to join me for a socially distant lunch in the courtyard. Here are the details for lunch with the Principal:
- Each lunch will be limited to 9 slots in order to abide by state mandates and safety protocols.
- 9th-12th Grade students may sign up by clicking this link and using the Signup Genius.
- I will meet those students who signed up in the courtyard each day to have lunch together.
- Students must maintain proper social distancing during lunch and wear masks upon arrival & departure.
- Should there be inclement weather, I will have a socially distant space prepared in the Collaborative Center for us to eat. In this event, students will have to fill out a short health screener upon entering the building.
- Student Homework prior to lunch:
- Please come with one question you’d like to know about Mr. Meloche
- Note: These lunches are completely optional to students. Families are not required to sign their students up for lunch.
As the year progresses, I’ll continue to work with my staff and students to find opportunities to keep us together. I have always felt that it is our relationships and how we interact with one another that makes BHS a special place. I truly hope that these opportunities provide a place to continue those traditions.
p.s. I'm finalizing the details of our material pickup during the second week of school. Look for those details later this week. Additionally, there should be forthcoming information about Schoology accounts for students and parents. Those details will come directly from the District.