- Plaza Doors: 3rd Grade, Miss Posey, and Mrs. Jakab
- 5th Grade Doors: 5th Grade and Mrs. Martin
- Playground Doors: 1st and 2nd Grade
- Nadine Doors: 4th Grade
- Tube Doors: Ms. Williams, Miss Emery and Mrs. Fox
Picture day information will also be included in the paperless packet.
Picture day will be on September 5, 2018.
The online prepay code will not be available until July 31st, 2018 to place orders.
Starting July 31st, orders can be placed online at https://preorder.kaiserstudio.com Prepay Code is: Burton2018
See the flyer for details.
If you wish to purchase pictures by sending in cash or a check please send it in along with the order form on picture day. Pre-printed order envelopes will not be distributed.
Lunch Cost and Times
Lunch at Burton - Cost
Full price lunch $2.85
Reduced price* lunch $.40
ala cart Milk $.65
11-11:25am - Grades 1 & 2 - Eat
11:25-11:45 Grades 1 & 2 - Recess
11:30-11:55 - Grades 3, 4 & 5 -Eat
11:55 - 12:15 Grades 3, 4 & 5 -Recess
12:00-12:25 TK & Kindergarten - Eat
12:25-12:45 TK & Kindergarten - Recess
For detailed lunch information, please visit the Berkley Schools Food Services website at the link below. You will find complete information regarding food service payments and the Free & Reduced Lunch Program.
3rd Grade Reading Law - What you need to know
In 2016, the Michigan Legislature passed the Third Grade Reading Law in an effort to ensure that students exit 3rd grade reading at or above grade level. The law will impact the 2017/2018 transitional kindergarten (TK), kindergarten, and 1st grade students by the time they are in 3rd grade. In accordance with this law, we will continue to conduct reading assessments with TK – 3rd grade students. These assessments will identify students who need intensive reading instruction and intervention and will also provide useful information to help teachers tailor instruction to meet individual student needs.
Visit the District's Curriculum page to see a letter from Scott Francis, Director of Curriculum, Technology, Assessment and Grants, DIBELS facts for parents, a Parent Guide to Public Act 306 and the District's Read at Home Plan for Student Success.
Message from Ms. Krehbiel
- Burton is in a good place because of the assessments we have been using and the interventions and procedures that we have had in place for many years now.
- A District 3rd Grade Reading Law committee has been formed to ensure that we comply with the law while continuing to do what is best for children. This committee will also play a large role in determining how our individual Reading Plans are developed, for those students who need them.
- We will continue to use Fountas & Pinnell as our diagnostic reading assessment.
- DIBELS (Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills) will be used as a screener assessment, three times per year, to help us determine which students are in need of additional support in reading. This will be done in grades TK‐3. DIBELS are a set of procedures and measurements for assessing the acquisition of early literacy skills. They are designed to be short (one minute) fluency measures used to regularly monitor the development of early literacy and early reading skills.
- Our assessments are scheduled to be completed by October 24th.
- Berkley has hired an ELA coach who will be working in collaboration with teachers in all of our elementary buildings.
- All parents can look forward to reviewing a letter from Scott Francis, Director of Curriculum and Technology, explaining the law and Reading Plans. This should be arriving in the next few weeks.
- At parent –teacher conferences, on October 25th and 26th, teachers will share reading assessment results and Reading Plans.
5th Grade Camp Information
You can now make 5th grade camp payments online!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING CAMP PAYMENTS
- Log into Family Access
- If you have more than one child, be sure to click on your 5th grade student
- Click on the Fee Management tab
- Click on Add a Fee (You only have to do this one time, once the fee is added to your child’s account, you only need click on Make a Payment)
- Select (Angell, Burton, Rogers, Norup, Pattengill) Camp
- Click on the Back Button in the top right corner
- The Camp Fee will now be listed in your Fees
- Select Make a Payment
- You will be directed out of Family Access to the RevTrak site to make your payment
- Select Purchase Fees
- Add the amount of the camp payment you wish to pay in the bottom right corner.
- Select the button Add Selected to Cart next to your 5th grade student’s name
- Follow the instructions on the site to complete the payment.
Allergy & Medication Forms
Find medication forms and learn more about staying healthy on the Student Health & Medication section on the District's Parent page.
Access your child's student information, grade book, attendance, and immunization records in Family Access.
Parents are encourage to volunteer in classrooms, chaperone field trips, and be a volunteer driver. In order to volunteer, all parents volunteering in the classroom or during school sponsored functions or field trip must complete the Volunteer Release Form prior to any activities. Parents driving or chapperoning a field trip must have the Volunteer Driver Form and Chapperone Responsibility Form completed in addition to the Volunteer Release Form. All forms can be found on the District Volunteer/Chaperone page.
MI law has required all students to be up-to-date with required immunizations ON or BEFORE the first day of school, 9/4/18. Your student may be excluded if they are not up-to-date.
All medical waivers must come from your child’s physician. Any religious or philosophical waivers will be issued by the Oakland County Health Department after parents have attended an educational session given by the local health department.
Schools are no longer able to issue waivers.
You may schedule an appointment for waiver Education online at www.oakgov.com/health or phone the Nurse on Call at 1-800-848-5533. Appointments are limited and scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Make your appointment early!
For more information visit the Oakland County Health site.
Head Lice Prevention & Treatment Information
Schools of Choice
The Berkley Board of Education has approved Schools of Choice slots for the 2017-18 school year. Learn more details about the number of slots, grades and timelines on the Schools of Choice website.
Additional School Information