AMS Policies and Expectations
Student Behavior Expectations
IT IS EXPECTED THAT:
- All students show respect for other students, staff, and visitors to AMS at all times.
- Students use appropriate language at school and during school events. This includes use of profanity, racial, ethnic, or religious slurs, sexual orientation slurs, or other disrespectful remarks. Students who exhibit these behaviors will be handled with progressive discipline in accordance with the student code of conduct.
- Students keep their hands to themselves to respect others personal space and avoid potential conflicts.
- Students are in attendance everyday for school and arrive to all classes on time with all necessary books and supplies.
- All students complete assigned work on time and to the best of his or her ability.
All students are expected to be on time to all of their scheduled classes with all necessary books and supplies. The doors in the morning open at 8:05 and students are expected to be in their 1st hour class when the bell rings at 8:15. Students who arrive to school after 8:30 must get a pass from the office before going to their first hour class.
Students who accumulate excessive tardies during the school year will be referred to an administrator with the following consequences:
- 10 Tardies - Administrative Discussion and Warning.
- 20 Tardies = 1 Day Lunch Detention
- 30 Tardies = 1 Week of Lunch Detention.
- 40 Tardies = 2 Weeks of Lunch Detention
- 50 or More Tardies = Parent Meeting and Additional Consequences to be Determined at the Meeting.
Any student who reaches 10 tardies 1st period will require a parent to sign them in in the morning for any tardy beyond the 10th tardy.
Dress Code Expectations
AMS encourages students to dress in a manner that allows for the most individual comfort and freedom, while still maintaining the proper atmosphere in which to learn.
The following attire is not permitted at school or during school events:
- Clothing which displays profanity or inferences which are inappropriate.
- Clothing that displays or advertises alcohol, tobacco, drugs, weapons, or violence.
- Clothes that expose undergarments. Pants must be worn at the waist and shirts must fully cover the upper body when standing or seated
- Shorts and skirts which are overly revealing.
- Tank tops with spaghetti straps and/or open sides
- Dresses with speghetti straps and/or open sides
- Crop tops which expose the midriff area.
- Hoods worn inside the building.
- Coats and purses must be kept in lockers except for lunchtime.
If a student’s attire is in question of violating the dress code expectations, the teacher will send the student to an administrator who will make a final determination.
Electronic Device Expectations
AMS enforces an Away for the Day electronic device policy. From 8:15-3:15, all electronic devices, including cell phones, music playing devices, and personal gaming devices, must be kept in a student’s locked locker. This includes lunch time. Any student who is found to have their device on them and not in his or her locker will immediately have their device confiscated with the following consequences:
- 1st and 2nd Offense - The staff member will take the device and give it to the office to be returned to the student at 3:15.
- 3rd Offense and Thereafter - The staff member will take the device and give it to the office and a parent will be notified to pick up the device.
Entry and Exit Before and After School
- Students should enter through their designated grade level door no later than 8:05.
- Students must exit the building by 3:30 and may exit out any door. Any exceptions to this will require administrative approval.
- Students may remain in the building after 3:30 if they are staying for:
- Sports practices or games
- Meeting with a teacher
- Participating in a club
- Homework Club
- Any other school related activity
Inclement Weather Policy
When there are inclement weather conditions such as rain, falling snow, and/or actual temperatures below 20 degrees, students are allowed to enter the building upon their arrival to school. Once students enter through their designated grade level door, they must wait in the hallway until the first bell rings at 8:05. Additionally, our Media Center is open for students to drop in Monday through Friday from 7:30-8:05, provided that they work on homework or read a book.