2023 Bond Proposal Information
This section of the website contains details about the Bond Proposal, Bond updates, cost, ballot language, frequently asked questions, history, and information from each building.
2023 Bond Proposal Details
- $88,000,000* to invest in district-wide classroom furniture, multi-purpose additions at all elementary schools, performing arts upgrades and additions, athletics upgrades and additions, and district-wide technology upgrades
- All encompassing plan to impact all children and staff every day in all buildings
- Election on August 8, 2023
* The Bond proceeds would earn interest over the 3 year span of time the work scope would be completed, increasing the total amount of funding available toward bond scope and related costs.
These improvements are based on:
- Goals outlined in the 2022 Strategic Plan
- Completing the work addressed in the Comprehensive Academic Spaces, Facilities and Technology Needs Assessment (2013-2014) that was not completed with the 2015 Bond
- Meetings with parents/guardians, staff, students, administrators, booster groups, community members and the Board of Education to study the needs of the District
- Site visits to local districts to research the possible opportunities for improved facilities for Berkley Schools students
Classroom Upgrades and Related Building Improvements
- Replace classroom furniture District-wide to include flexible and adaptable furniture for all learners, including specialized furniture where needed to support students with special needs
- Replace media center furniture, to include flexible and adaptable furniture for all learners, in all buildings except Berkley High School and Anderson Middle School, which received new furniture in the 2015 Bond
- Renovate Berkley High School science labs to include new work stations, plumbing, gas, classroom flow and storage. Science labs have not been updated since 1994.
- Complete renovation of BHS Performing Arts Center (auditorium)
- Build new multi-purpose/cafeteria additions at Angell, Burton, Pattengill and Rogers Elementary schools, that would include kitchen and serving areas, storage and restrooms
- Build new performing arts black box addition at Berkley High School which would serve as a choir classroom during the day and performance/rehearsal/multi-purpose space after hours
- Expand BHS Performing Arts Center (formerly known as auditorium) lobby to include restrooms, a ticket booth and multi-purpose space and to increase the space to allow for better flow before and after events
Athletics, Robotics, and More
- Construct a new multi-purpose field house on the Catalpa field across from the high school. The 75-yard field house would include indoor turf, a divider system to create separation between groups using the field house simultaneously, restrooms, robotics rooms and practice spaces and multi-use spaces. The field house would be available to athletics teams, physical education classes, the BHS marching band, District robotics teams, the BHS community and community groups.
- 120-yard outdoor synthetic turf field constructed north of the field house on the Catalpa field across from the high school
- Create a natural turf field north of the 120-yard turf field in the Catalpa area across from the high school
- Pool remodel including: drainage, dive stand, chemical systems, tile replacement, starting blocks, ADA upgrades, office & restroom renovation, sound system, HVAC system, acoustical padding
- Hurley Field Improvements: Remodel existing team rooms in Hurley Field plaza to combine into a new team room. Remodel existing locker room inside of Anderson and create an additional team room. Also includes a remodel of a locker room for AMS student access. New LED lights for the stadium. Relocating track and field performance spaces to accommodate expanded parking (shot put, long jump).
- **Plans are underway to replace/upgrade the turf, track, restrooms, concession area, sound system and press box at Hurley Field using District Sinking Fund dollars beginning in 2023-2024.
- Gym upgrades and refresh for all elementary and middle schools, including flooring, paint, fixtures and equipment
- **Additional baseball, softball and multi-purpose fields are planned to be upgraded with Sinking Fund dollars and potential city partners
Technology Upgrades and Proven Educational Technologies
- Interactive classroom panels to replace aging projectors
- Replacing aging staff devices
- District-wide data network and technology system upgrades to accommodate emerging technology infrastructure and safety measures, including a new phone system
Opportunities to Learn More
Building Parent/Guardian Meetings
- April 12: BHS PTA Meeting, 7 pm
- May 2: Burton PTA Meeting, 7 pm
- May 9: Angell, Pattengill, Rogers, AMS and Norup PTA Meetings, 7 pm
- May 10: BBB Parent Connections Meeting, 9 am
Community Meeting - All Are Welcome
- May 15: Community Informational Meeting, Rogers Gymnasium, 7 pm
- Ballot Language Adoption by Board of Education, April 10
- Absentee Ballots Ready, June 29
- Last Day to Register to Vote, August 8
- Last Day to Pick Up an Absentee Ballot, August 8
- Election Day, August 8
2023 Bond Fact Sheet
Oakland County School District Homestead Tax Rates
2023 Application to Treasury (PQA)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Visit the District's DEI webpage for resources and learning opportunities More...