Board Selects Next Superintendent of Berkley Schools
After reviewing 24 applications from candidates from six states, interviewing three candidates, reviewing community feedback, conducting finalist interviews, presentations, and site visits as well as reading through the feedback the community submitted for the stakeholder meetings and finalist interviews, the Board voted to enter into contract negotiations to hire Mr. Scott Francis as the next Superintendent of Berkley Schools.
Read the full statement from Board President Keith Logsdon on selecting Scott Francis as the next Superintendent.
On March 1, 2021, Michigan Leadership Institute published the Position Announcement for Berkley Schools Superintendent. The application window will remain open until 4 pm on April 5, 2021. You can view the posting in the PDF below.
Candidates Selected for First Round Interview
The following candidates will interview at the time listed before their name, for a first round interview:
Monday, April 12, 7 pm: Todd Bidlack, Assistant Superintendent of Learning Services, Bloomfield Hills Schools
Monday, April 12, 8:40 pm: Scott Francis, Director of Teaching, Learning and Technology, Berkley Schools
Tuesday, April 13, 7 pm: Beth Gonzalez, Assistant Superintendent, Detroit Public Schools Community District
How to Watch the Superintendent Interviews
Berkley School District is partnering with CMNtv to broadcast the Superintendent Search meetings.
To watch the interviews through the Community Media Network TV channels, tune in to the following:
- Comcast & WOW channel 18
- CMNtv's Website Live Feed
To watch the interviews on YouTube live, visit the following links:
- April 12, 2021
- April 13, 2021
- April 14, 2021 (if necessary) - Canceled
- April 15, 2021 - Special Meeting to discuss candidates moving forward to finalist interviews
Superintendent Candidate Interview Videos & Related Board Meeting Videos
Feedback Forms for Superintendent Interviews
The QR code and URL that appear in the superintendent candidate finalist interviews as well as stakeholder meetings will be active through Friday, April 30 at 8 pm, to allow the Board of Education to process the feedback before their site visits.
April 12, 2021: Todd Bidlack & Scott Francis
April 13, 2021: Beth Gonzalez
April 15, 2021: Special Board Meeting to Determine Final Two Candidates
April 28, 2021: Superintendent Finalist Candidate Interview: Scott Francis
April 29, 2021: Superintendent Finalist Interview: Beth Gonzalez
Stakeholder Meetings: April 28 & 29
Stakeholder Meeting Details
The superintendent finalist candidates will have an opportunity to meet with various stakeholders before their final interviews. Those who meet with the candidates are encouraged to bring questions and to engage in a discussion. There will be an opportunity to give feedback on the candidates to the Board of Education via a digital form after meeting with the candidates.
- Wednesday, April 28: Scott Francis
- Thursday, April 29: Beth Gonzalez
- Location: Berkley High School Auditorium, 2325 Catalpa, Berkley
- Schedule of Events for both April 28 & 29
- 1:00-1:45 pm: High School Students (chosen by building administrators)
- 2:00-3:00 pm: District Administrators
- 3:30-4:15 pm: Staff Members (all staff members are welcome)
- 4:30-5:30 pm: Parents/Community Members (open to the general public)
- QR Codes for the Stakeholder meetings will be closed on Friday, April 30 at 8 pm.
- All members of the public will be required to follow all District safety protocols, including wearing a face mask at all times. All guests will also be asked to complete a health screening upon entering the high school.
- While the staff and community meetings are open to all, the high school auditorium does have a capacity limit of 300 people.
- We ask all guests to sit socially distanced from each other.
- All guests will be asked to sign in, to help with contact tracing if necessary.
Superintendent Candidate Selection (with Video): May 10
MONDAY, MAY 10, 2021, 7:00 PM - REGULAR MEETING
Location: Berkley High School Auditorium, 2325 Catalpa, Berkley, MI & Live-Streamed on CMNTv Channels
- The May 10 meeting will be available in-person with a limited capacity of 300 guests.
- All in attendance will be required to wear a mask.
- We ask guests to self screen for COVID-19 symptoms before arriving at the meeting.
- Upon arrival, guests will be asked to sign in and sit 6 feet apart.
- Public comment will be held in-person only.
To watch the May 10 meeting, which also includes the selection of the Superintendent as part of the regular meeting, through the Community Media Network TV channels, tune in to the following:
Watch the May 10 Board of Education Meeting.
Discussions about the Superintendent begin at the 26 minute mark.
Superintendent Search Timeline
|Board of Education Workshop to gather input, establish parameters of search, agree upon timeline|
|February 15 - March 1||Create and finalize posting|
|February 17-24||Collect stakeholder feedback via community survey to develop candidate profile and district/community profile|
|March 1 -
|Post Superintendent position, place ads, accept applications until 4 pm on Monday, April 5|
|Board Meeting: Board will meet to hear the presentation of applicants and determine which candidates to interview, in closed session
Board will also prepare for first round interviews (i.e., select interview questions)
At the end of the meeting, candidates to interview will be announced in open session
|Board Meeting: First round of interviews|
|Board Meeting: First round of interviews|
|Board Meeting: First round of interviews (if needed) - Canceled|
|Board Meeting: Selection of finalists|
|Each finalist candidate meets with stakeholder groups. Stakeholders provide feedback to the Board on the candidates.
Board Meetings: Board conducts final interviews
|Site Visits: Board subcommittee meets with stakeholders at the work site of the finalist candidates|
|Board Meeting: Board selects the Superintendent|
|Board action to hire the Superintendent (tentative)|
First official work day for Superintendent
Community Survey: Open February 17-24, 2021
The Board of Education wishes to hear feedback from the Berkley Schools community during this superintendent search.
Please take this survey to share your thoughts on two questions:
- What are the key skills, qualities and characteristics the new Superintendent for Berkley Schools should possess?
- What are the top five strengths of Berkley Schools and the community it serves? What are you most proud of?
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the community be involved?
The community will have the opportunity to give feedback to the Board via the community survey, open February 17-24, 2021. This two question survey allows the staff, parents, community members and students to share their thoughts with the Board early on in the search process.
The Board will also ask stakeholders to give feedback after each candidate interview, via feedback forms.
When the Board has narrowed the search to finalists, the finalist candidates will meet with stakeholders prior to the final interviews. Stakeholders will have the opportunity to share their feedback with the Board, after meeting with the finalists.
What is the timeline to hire a new superintendent?
The timeline begins on February 15 with a Board Workshop and ends at the end of May with the selection and contract signing of a new superintendent. The detailed timeline is listed at the top of this webpage.
What is Michigan Leadership Institutes's role?
Michigan Leadership Institute (MLI) will lead the Board of Education through the superintendent search process. John Silveri, MLI Regional President for Southeast Michigan, searches will facilitate the search and act as the direct contact with the board, community, and candidates.